salsa

10/25/2014

57 Comments

...based on the salsa my cooking aunt would make on [more than] a weekly basis.
Apparently the aunt I lived with my first year of college (mentioned in the Chicken Salad post) will from now on be referred to as "my cooking aunt".

Did I mention these relatives live in New Mexico? Salsa is a pretty big deal down there. Chiles are fresh. Tomatoes are fresh from the garden, then canned and kept year round. My aunt would whip up this salsa at least once a week—usually more.
This salsa is very simple. It highlights the essential star flavors of salsa, and doesn't try too hard with unnecessary embellishment. Because the simple flavors are perfect.
When I started making this salsa on my own, I would almost always forget one ingredient. Which one, you ask? Well, that would be a simpler problem, if I was always forgetting the same thing. But I wasn't. I'm not very consistent in my forgetfulness...take from that what you will.

My solution to this was to finally remember it had five ingredients. So if I didn't have five things intended for salsa, I was missing something.

Problem solved.
Tomatoes.
Jalapeño.
Onion.
Garlic.
Cilantro.

Most of the time it was the cilantro I'd forget. Sorry, Cilantro. You're even my favorite. (Or maybe it's the garlic...or the jalapeño...)
The one difference between my version and my aunt's is that I include a lime. Because lime makes everything better.
This salsa is blended really well, so it's not chunky. However, I was just looking through my aunt's family's cookbook and saw a chunky salsa called Ugly Dip that I may make soon for those of you who prefer your salsa chunky—it's so good.

But this recipe is an old faithful, all-purpose salsa. Good for anything you'd want salsa for.
Ingredients
1 14.5-oz can chopped tomatoes
1/2 jalapeño (no seeds, to taste)
1/2 onion, chopped
1/3 c. cilantro
2-3 cloves garlic*
juice of one lime (to taste)
garlic salt and seasoned salt, to taste
1. Roughly chop onion.

2. Remove seeds from a fresh jalapeño. I'd recommend starting with 1/4 of the pepper and then going up from there. It'll get quite spicy very quickly. (Of course you can always add more tomatoes if it gets too hot.)

3. Add onion, jalapeño, garlic, and cilantro to food processor or blender. Pulse a few times, until mostly chopped. Add cilantro and tomatoes and blend together.

4. Add garlic salt and seasoned salt to taste. If it doesn't taste quite right, usually adding a little more seasoned salt will do the trick.

*As I was writing this off the top of my head (before uploading pictures), garlic was the one that wouldn't immediately come to mind. How's that possible??
I used to use fresh tomatoes in this recipe, but they're so watery that the salsa ends up turning out mostly light green with only a mild pink hue.

Using canned tomatoes is not only easier, but it gives it a more aesthetic red coloring. But by all means, use chopped fresh tomatoes if you want! I often throw in one fresh tomato for good measure and adjust accordingly.

Note: Choose a no-salt-added can so you can control how much salt goes into the salsa.
After it's all blended, you're good to go!

OK, now I need to make some more. We ran out last week and I'm craving some kale nachos*...
*Coming soon!

Enjoy!!

Comments

06/14/2016 7:34am

Wow. This salsa looks so good and so yummy.My children like salsa. They always want salsa to eat. I found different recipes of salsa and I found this recipe. It is very simple and easy to make.

02/20/2017 7:00pm

Salsa is an Italian and Spanish dish.Salsa is usually a tomato-based sauce or dip. It is a heterogeneous mixture that includes additional ingredients such as onions, chilies, beans, corn, and various spices. It is typically spicy, ranging from mild to extremely hot. Basically, it contains tomatoes that is usually rich in vitamin C and beta carotene like lime and hot pepper in which beneficial in vitamins and minerals.

06/15/2016 3:09am

Salad is the main food items that provide much nutrition and vitamins of our body and we should to use it with each dinner and lunch time. It remove the quantity of cholesterol from our body and make our physical fitness more good. Thanks for posting this amazing information.

12/14/2016 1:13am

Salsa is good to pair in different variations of food, I used salsa when having my fresh picked vegetables, I can also pair it with nachos or tacos or chips, and since I prefer to have an all-carb diet to fit on my old clothes, I usually eat vegetables for dinner. I would just boil them then pair it with salsa, and the recipe I used in making salsa was this. I really liked it, it taste great.

12/17/2016 12:17am

What causes it might be numerous regarding electronic.

03/11/2017 2:45pm

Most of the receivers not necessarily often opt-in, which means that they had their own current email address used on-line from 1 stage or even an additional to obtain deposit within a listing with regard to junk e-mail.

Salsa is my favorite dish that I like to eat all the time when I am feeling hungry. It is one of the best Mexican dishes that are pretty viral among many people these days.

03/13/2017 8:18am

As being a organic anti-inflammatory real estate agent, ashwagandha might help to lessen the actual serious pain related to joint disease.

03/14/2017 12:16pm

The actual chapel within Sierra Leone should determine by itself using the struggling in the individuals.

03/14/2017 7:24pm

Furthermore, they have some other verified many like decreasing the chance of a few types of malignancy and also bone tissue health issues, reducing the actual amounts of poor cholesterol, and also managing our own blood sugar.

05/21/2017 3:58pm

I can't get the main idea, but it's really helpful for additional information.

06/20/2017 5:51pm

When I saw this web, it's really different than the other. Great Job!

09/04/2017 12:25pm

There was a lot of good news that I got. say hello and request for your website. This is smart information for me.

09/07/2017 5:46pm

This place has an unspoiled natural condition, fresh air, shady green trees and a crystal clear beach.

09/12/2017 9:38pm

Here, You will get our profesional hosting and SEO in a good quality.

09/20/2017 6:03pm

I am interested in your information. I will wait for your update anytime.

Awesome post! Really enjoyed this post. But I want more information on such valuable topic.

09/27/2017 9:20am

The bird's native habitat, called Magpie Robin / Oriental Magpie Robin / Straits Robin, is an open forest area, a garden near a residential area. This bird prefers an open area on the edge of the forest compared with in a dense forest. Despite the likes of open areas, there has never been any mention that they also live in areas near the sea / beach.

10/05/2017 6:32am

One of the most common New Year resolutions is to know how to lose weight fast, so as to have a slimmer and sexier body.

10/17/2017 6:57pm

Here you can see the beauty of underwater life by snorkeling or diving. Note, on this island there is no lodging. So, if you want to spend the night on this island is obliged to bring a tent from home

10/23/2017 4:45pm

We make sure they will not mark up the price for personal use as long as your company uses the car rental service. As people who deal directly with consumers, of course our drivers are people who we believe to be the spearhead of service in the car rental business.

10/28/2017 9:03am

Home Plans Offer Excellence for Lifestyle in the West Bank Florida's home plans are unique in that they offer spaciousness in a diffuse design that runs wider than the height of the layout.

10/31/2017 7:59am

We help people for design their homes and understand the quality when looking at it. Helping you further to design our features, choices, and design results to meet your needs. Spirited and understanding to convey the wishes and desires of each and every client.

11/02/2017 9:02pm

Brand Protection Period can be renewed every 10 years continuously. Rightsholders of the Trademark may already apply for a brand extension from six months before the expiration of the brand protection period to 6 months after the end of the protection period.

11/04/2017 9:01am

Tips for Elegant Home Show The house is basically ordinary will be amazing if it is designed with the concept of interior design is thick will feel elegant and luxurious. Especially if the design of luxury homes can be done with tips to make the house look elegant and simple ways.

11/07/2017 7:59am

The integrity of the company and its employees is the basis of behavior and attitude in business in order to gain trust from each other, to provide convenience for users.

11/09/2017 8:52am

Manchester United coach from Portugal, Jose Mourinho, had stated that he is very likely to leave Old Trafford in the future. He felt it would be impossible to train United until the retirement came and signaled would be part of Les Parisien.

11/10/2017 4:00pm

You need an architect and builder to make sure everything is safe and stable. A reliable Home Architect will be very helpful in deciding your home improvement.

11/22/2017 10:28am

We will create a Google Places for Business account for you. Specific information about your website and business will be easier to find through Google.

11/23/2017 1:36am

The ethics of its employees and the organization will be the basis of attitude and behavior in business in order to gain confidence to give convenience.

11/24/2017 9:01am

It is important that you believe the best SEO services of your choice really do the job as it has promised. Serious and dedicated SEO companies to provide best seo services for your site.

11/26/2017 1:40am

Logically, websites that occupy the top position in search results have a greater chance of getting visitors. In line with the growing use of Internet network as a business medium, the need for SEO is also increasing.

12/18/2017 6:59pm

If you do not want to bother, especially if you do not have the technical knowledge about this SEO, then we strongly recommend that you can use the best SEO services company.

12/20/2017 4:29am

Story of this blog is well written. The writer kept in consideration the grammar very well. Level of English also very well. Lot many new words has been used while writing content of this blog.

12/21/2017 2:20pm

You mention your business about what, then the keyword research team will do the right keyword analysis for your business and we will optimize all keywords.

01/01/2018 12:52am

Our Standardized Cheap SEO Services Standard ensures speed, stability, and security in optimizing your web. Uniques SEO Solutions & Excellent Support.

01/03/2018 3:42pm

Thank you so much for sharing. Your content was very helpful. You are a marvelous writer. Good work!

01/03/2018 8:15pm

The right and best step for you in optimizing your business website to quickly enter page 1 or the first page or page no 1 in accordance with the target keywords.

01/06/2018 5:10pm

Use our SEO Services to make your website on top rank. Especially for those of you who want to try it yourself, maybe it's good to read our blog first.

01/10/2018 4:48pm

Whatever your goal, we have proven the appropriate solution, combining the right marketing resources to generate amazing returns for you.

01/13/2018 12:25pm

SEO will work anytime, many of us think that investing with SEO means spending so much money. Best Strategies for Start-Up your Companies

01/15/2018 9:39am

Selling and offering products and services on the Internet will get a success if many people know and see what you have to offer.

01/16/2018 9:23am

Many of the business people who already have a website does not know clearly what the benefits of SEO is.

A debt of gratitude is in order for posting this data. I simply need to tell you that I simply look at your site and I think that its extremely intriguing and useful.

01/24/2018 12:40am

02/02/2018 4:15pm

Use of energy saving lamps. This is related to the design of the point lighting design. Determine the point of the lamp properly to produce evenly distributed light.

02/03/2018 3:11pm

Manchester United manager Jose Mourinho has asked his favorite midfielder, Marouane Fellaini, to sign a new contract as soon as possible.

02/05/2018 9:18am

We use the system of 24 hour call massage service so you can more easily use our service without having to search and come.

02/09/2018 3:42am

A very surprising info! I never heard this kind of issue before. Thank you so much for informing!

02/13/2018 7:06am

I do a market analysis on the topic of this article service based on the ability that I have. I concluded to immediately launch service writing this article.

Colors Institute of Interior Designing has a finest Interior Designing Course in Chennai offers Degree, Diploma, Certificate Courses to make you a world class designers.We offers best inteior designing course in chennai.

02/19/2018 10:34pm

Good to know this article today. I can get so many new things from here. Thanks.